Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

Re: Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

neilgodfrey wrote:Jesus was also walking as if to "pass by" (not paragon, though) the disciples when he was walking on the "sea" of Galilee.
Right. Not παραγω in this case. It is, rather, παρερχομαι, an important link to the theophany of Exodus 34.6.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Ben C. Smith wrote:This hearkens back, for me, to what I wrote about how we approach, and what we expect from, the text. It seems that some are truly bothered by the text as it stands in some way, on its own merits. And it seems that I am not. And I am not sure I know why that is. To me it just makes sense that Simon might be both a Cyrenian and a passerby, and that his two sons were known in some way to the Marcan readership. If Mark intended to recount fact, then Alexander and Rufus were sons of someone who allegedly participated in the passion. If Mark was intended to recount fiction, then Alexander and Rufus are still known to the readership, but are also in-jokes of some kind, probably of a kind that we may never fully understand (maybe something along the lines of what Neil suggested about plugging two butcher friends, for instance). Matthew and Luke omitted them because they are in the same boat we are: we do not know who these fellows are; that much seems so simple to me, and yet it raises eyebrows for others. Objections have been brought up to Simon being called a Cyrenian instead of saying that he was of Cyrene, to Matthew and Luke omitting Alexander and Rufus, and to other aspects of this tiny text, but frankly I do not see how such objections work on their own merits. And I admit that maybe it is just a case of me failing to see something obvious. People can be just so different sometimes.

I can totally understand Alexander and Rufus not lining up with how one reads the rest of Mark, thereby becoming a mystery to solve. If, for example, one reads Mark as a totally fictional and somewhat pure adaptation of messianic LXX passages, then Alexander and Rufus do require some kind of explanation, and perhaps then it is time to call in the silphium and the ram horns, and hope they can help. But in that case it is not any particular anomaly in the text itself that is raising the ruckus; it is the fact that the text looks like it does not fit the overall theory. I can understand that, even if I do not share the theory.
All very true. Great comments, as usual, Ben.

I will note here, by way of defense, that I personally (at least) was 'nursed' on a different reading of Mark, as were most of us. My first Bible (the NAB), with fairly mainstream critical notes, did gloss here:

http://www.usccb.org/bible/mk/15:21#49015021-1
The precise naming of Simon and his sons is probably due to their being known among early Christian believers to whom Mark addressed his gospel.
The verse didn't appear to make much sense by itself, so 'any port in a storm', right? I believed it for a long time (and even liked it until very recently, when new relevant information came to my attention ... it was not any particular 'theory' or propensity for a symbolic reading alone that justified it).

Perhaps it is notable that several of us, then, seem prepared to accept a different paradigm for interpreting the passion narrative of Mark, even up to and including this particular verse's detail (as it must be said that most critical interpreters have granted the idea of scriptural rewriting ending up in the crucifixion story in a general way, thus also inclining us towards thinking that this verse is instead special in this respect, because we exclude it from such, even when it may not actually be special in this way).

I would adjust your statement to say (in my opinion), "it is not any particular anomaly in the text itself" of Mark 15:21, treated in complete isolation (including isolation from the rest of Mark, as well as scripture and the rest of early Christian writings), that could necessitate or very strongly suggest such a symbolic reading here (naturally--and it's not on the symbolic reading to prove itself here in such a way, as this is the favorite pet of an entirely different view of Mark, so it is on that view to show that something is demanded or required here). But, as I've noted also in that other thread, this habit of considering it in pure and unhindered isolation (e.g., outside of the context of the scripture informing the crucifixion story here and outside of the context of other early Christian literature using that scripture) can't be considered a strength of the readings based on such blinkers.

We must widen our view of the textual landscape to include much more information, or be condemned to wander through the clouds (like this thread has).

We also need to base our readings on more than an "any port in a storm" mentality, because further evaluation of the plausible readings of this passage supports the fact that there is more than one plausible 'port' here for our interpretation of the verse taken by itself. Unfortunately, for many readings, and particularly for the one mentioned in the NAB note, the interpreters seem to be blissfully unaware of any other explanations, and that no doubt has played a part in their reasoning process (as they took the first 'port' that they could find).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Ben C. Smith wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:Jesus was also walking as if to "pass by" (not paragon, though) the disciples when he was walking on the "sea" of Galilee.
Right. Not παραγω in this case. It is, rather, παρερχομαι, an important link to the theophany of Exodus 34.6.

Ben.
That's significant. I'll have to check the studies relating Mark's gospel to the Second Exodus again -- unless you have already done so and can save me the effort.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

neilgodfrey wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:

Ben.
That's significant. I'll have to check the studies relating Mark's gospel to the Second Exodus again -- unless you have already done so and can save me the effort.
I think it is in A Marginal Jew: Mentor, Message, and Miracles that John Meier gives a quite excellent account of this pericope and its derivation from the LXX, including this theophanic link.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

As Cohen has pointed out, the Hebrew verb פסח originally carried only one meaning, that of protection. At some point this meaning became lost to Jewish exegesis, being replaced with the meaning to pass over ... https://www.academia.edu/9007614/From_p ... influences
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ben C. Smith wrote:
Secret Alias wrote:Perhaps more significant is the way Mark at first introduces Simon: "a passerby, Simon, a Cyrenian" (paragonta tina Simona Kyrenaion)

If this stands alone, it shows he did not expect his readers to know Simon personally. This is the way the other texts preserve the episode. By adding, however, that Simon was "the father of Alexander and Rufus" he shows that he expected his readers to know Simon's two sons. On the surface it appears that Alexander and Rufus may have been members of the Markan community. But there can be argued to be a disconnect - first introducing Simon as a paragonta and then suddenly by way of addition and qualification the exact opposite is manifested.
I do not see how being a passerby with respect to Jesus carrying his cross is the opposite of having sons known to the Marcan readership. To introduce Simon as a passerby and then reveal that he is actually related to someone you know... that is just one good way to tell the story.
Moreover I strongly suspect that Simon's original epithet was a deliberately bad translation of 'Hebrew.' Notice that in Psalm 129:8 = הָעֹבְרִ֗ים. Hebrew: a Hebrew = עברי.
Are you saying that העברִים in Psalm 129.8 [128.8 LXX] should be translated as the Hebrews, not as [the] passersby? Or are you just pointing to an example of this Hebrew word so that we can see that the Hebrew letters are the same for both words?

Ben.
I have faith that there is something going on with the word ἄγω (agó) in Mark, but I still haven't figured it out. But one of my impressions is for example that Mark used the verb συνάγω (sunagó - gather together) to show that Jesus "established" or caused the rise of an "other" synagogue (συναγωγή), the one of the crowds, in opposition to "the official synagogues".

a complete list of all words with the root "ἄγω" (agó)

ἄγω – lead, go
1:38, (11:2, 11:7,) 13:11, 14:42 (minor readings in 11:2, 11:7)

ἀπάγω – lead away from
14:44 , 14:53, 15:16

ἐξάγω – lead out, go or bring out
8:23, 15:20

παράγω – passing by/ lead or go away
1:16, 2:14, 15:21

περιάγω – lead or go around
6:6

προάγω – lead, go before
6:45, 10:32, 11:9, 14:28, 16:7

ὑπάγω – lead under, go back, go (your way)
1:44, 2:11, 5:19, 5:34, 6:31, 6:33, 6:38, 7:29, 8:33, 10:21, 10:52, 11:2, 14:13, 14:21, 16:7

συνάγω – gather together, lead together, bring together, come together
2:2, 4:1, 5:21, 6:30, 7:1
ἐπισυνάγω - gather together (upon, to)
1:33, 13:27
συναγωγή - synagogue
1:21, 1:23, 1:29, 1:39, 3:1, 6:2, 12:39, 13:9
ἀρχισυνάγωγος – leader of the synagogue
5:22, 5:35, 5:36, 5:38,

διηγέομαι – describe, to lead (narrate) fully to make plain what has the highest priority.
5:16, 9:9

ἡγεμών – hegemon, leader, governor
13:9
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Fwiw one more detail (apologies if it's already been mentioned and I missed it) --- Jesus early in the gospel is passing by along the seaside; at the end we see another figure carrying a cross passing by from the countryside. One can speculate beneath the umbrella of the Exodus theme: the first Exodus was via the sea and the second (Isaianic) Exodus was across the land.

Watts and others have explored these Exodus themes, especially the Second Exodus theme, throughout Mark's gospel but don't appear to have commented in 15:21 in this context.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Peter Kirby wrote:All very true. Great comments, as usual, Ben.
Hi, Peter. Thank you.

I have been mulling over how to respond to your post, but I decided I needed some clarification first. My post was meant to target specific readings of just this one verse in Mark (15.21) that point out supposed oddities; I had in mind, and did mention, things like: it is weird that Mark calls him Cyrenian instead of from Cyrene or it is weird that Mark calls him a passerby and yet knows who his sons are. Reasons for reinterpreting the verse that involve reading the entire text of Mark I specifically exempted from the force of my comments, and I would include your suggestions on that other thread here; I said that I can totally understand why an overall reading of Mark might prompt one to probe deeper into what Alexander and Rufus might mean.

So, when you say...:
I will note here, by way of defense....
...or...:
...it was not any particular 'theory' or propensity for a symbolic reading alone that justified it.
...I just want to make sure that you are addressing general issues of interpretation, and not specific issues raised by my post, which was directed against what appear to me to be myopic readings of Mark 15.21 (sampled above), not against readings that take into account the broad scope of the entire gospel. It would not matter much in the long run, except that in this case I do disagree with a separate point of your post, and I need to make sure I am understanding you in other regards, so as to tell whether those other regards are related to my disagreement.

Thanks.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It is well known that in a Christian church Exodus 15 – the crossing of the sea by the Israelites - is always read in the lead up to Easter – the celebration of Christ’s suffering and resurrection - because the two events are understood to have mystically ‘related.’ I can see the parallel word use in Mark 15:21 and the LXX I just don't think the Simon Cyrene narrative is very 'Exodusy' for lack of a better word. Unless I am missing something ...
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

... other than Simon of Cyrene arrives on the 15th Nisan. Maybe it has something to do with his carrying the cross if it was an X shaped object? It can't be that Jesus is the lamb being sent to slaughter because lambs are walked to the deaths. I've seen the Samaritan ceremony. They are fastened to the stakes (somewhat cross-like) before hand.