Obama denies Islamic State caused by Islam

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.

Moderator: JoeWallack

neilgodfrey

Re: Obama denies Islamic State caused by Islam

Post by neilgodfrey »

bskeptic wrote:Something I came across regarding the left and Islamic terror...

Quote:

"It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic terrorist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them. Even worse, those on the regressive left, in their endless capacity for masochism and self-loathing, have attempted to shift blame inwardly on themselves, denying the terrorists even the satisfaction of claiming responsibility.

It's like a bad Monty Python sketch:

"We did this because our holy texts exhort us to do it."

"No you didn't."

"Wait, what? Yes we did..."

"No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons." . . .
I hear this sort of thing from time to time but I'm at a loss to know what to make of it because I'm out of touch with the scene in UK/Europe and North America. Who are the targets of this spoof? Who are some of the public figures or organisations of "the left" who express the view being mocked here? Links, sources, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Huon

Post by Huon »

Well, it is easy.
One has just to ask Faisal Saeed Al Mutar who exactly is "My friend Joseph from the United States".
Huon

Post by Huon »

Amedy Coulibaly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amedy_Coulibaly

Starting at the age of 17, Amedy Coulibaly was convicted five times for armed robbery and at least once for drug trafficking. A report by a psychiatric expert prepared for a Parisian court found Coulibaly had an "immature and psychopathic personality" and "poor powers of introspection".

On the evening of January 7th, 2015, he wounded a jogger in the suburbs of Paris (Fontenay aux Roses).
On January 8th, 2015, he killed a policewoman in the suburbs of Paris (Montrouge).
On January 9th, 2015, he killed four Jewish people at a Jewish Hypercacher supermarket of Paris (Porte de Vincennes). He was killed in this attack.

Certainly, the far left people will support this poor guy... Well, he killed only 5 people. This is almost nothing, eh ?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Okay --- you say the "far left people" will "support this guy". This is what I'm trying to find out. Can you show me where I can read the words of some of these "far left people" who lead you to believe you know what they would say about such persons.

I am not denying they exist. I hear about them quite often. But I have to confess I live a long way from the centres of intellectual ferment where such persons are apparently well known and I really would like to know who are these "apologists for terrorism" etc.

I don't want to find myself championing certain persons only to learn they have said such things I am unaware of.

I do wonder why no-one has answered what must surely be a very straightforward question. But then again people come and go here and some posts go unread or readers have other priorities....
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Huon wrote:Well, it is easy.
One has just to ask Faisal Saeed Al Mutar who exactly is "My friend Joseph from the United States".
It might be helpful if you could explain to someone who does not live in your part of the world who and what you are talking about here and how this supposedly answers my question.