Translation into English

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Clive

Translation into English

Post by Clive »

Been reading about Humboldt. There are some new translations out and they comment that two competing translations - by women interestingly - were produced in the 1840's.

Some very quick research shows he is basically ignored in uk, although he is key to understanding Darwin.

Looking at some pop histories, they tend to emphasise the British view of history.

So, is there a huge problem caused by trying to understand foreign and ancient texts from a British perspective that actually makes it just about impossible?

We bring so many assumptions we cannot get back there, others are probably far more qualified than English speakers are.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
DCHindley

Re: Translation into English

Post by DCHindley »

Clive wrote:Been reading about Humboldt. There are some new translations out and they comment that two competing translations - by women interestingly - were produced in the 1840's.

Some very quick research shows he is basically ignored in uk, although he is key to understanding Darwin.

Looking at some pop histories, they tend to emphasise the British view of history.

So, is there a huge problem caused by trying to understand foreign and ancient texts from a British perspective that actually makes it just about impossible?

We bring so many assumptions we cannot get back there, others are probably far more qualified than English speakers are.
Not quite sure what you are looking for.

There is a translation at http://darwin-online.org.uk/EditorialIn ... boldt.html, but you probably know more about that than I do.

DCH
Clive

Post by Clive »

General point about translating- I used humboldt as an example of how weak translation can lose the meaning of something, partly because of background assumptions and understandings of receiving language causing these misunderstandings
Clive

Post by Clive »

Humboldt continually asked about whole systems - parts are always part of a whole. He wrote Kosmos as an attempt to extrapolate this to the universe.

But the British, me included, believe wholes are made of parts! Wrong!

The reaction to my op here is about that! I wanted to discuss translation, not a translation!

:-)
iskander

Post by iskander »

The difficulty of translating the Aeneid into English is well documented.