The Greeks in India

Discuss the world of the Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, and Egyptians.
Clive

The Greeks in India

Post by Clive »

Buddhism has an idea, the middle way. Paul allegedly wrote of moderation in all things. The famous statues blown up by the Taliban in Afghanistan of the Buddha are clearly Greek influenced.

The archaeology of a 3500 year old boat found in Dover, and related finds across Europe - the bronze age - shows it was sea going and was transporting tin (from Cornwall) that was used all over Europe and Egypt, when the pyramids were being built. The Illiad in fact refers to the transition to the Iron Age.

Archaeology is continually looking for connections and relationships.

Why do I get the impression people who study religions play down the interactions?

What was the effects of Alexander going to India on Judaism? How did the Greek ideas, The Zoroastrian, the Jewish, the Buddhist and Hindu ideas change each other?

I propose the interactions are critically important, like the translation of the Septuagint.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Leucius Charinus

Re: The Greeks in India

Post by Leucius Charinus »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edicts_of_Ashoka

Multilingual inscriptions during the rule of Ashoka: 269 BCE to 232 BCE (a century after Alexander's conquests)

A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Clive

Post by Clive »

Zeus plus Krishna = Buddha.

Buddha + YHWH + Zeus = Christ

Christ + YHWH + Zoroaster = Mohammed
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

My favorite bit about that is not anything so grandiose. Alexander the Great's entourage discovered "gymnosophists" ("naked philosophers") there, ascetics who had worn little or no clothing.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

lpetrich wrote:My favorite bit about that is not anything so grandiose. Alexander the Great's entourage discovered "gymnosophists" ("naked philosophers") there, ascetics who had worn little or no clothing.
Jains?

DCH