Where do we go when we die?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

spin

Re: Where do we go when we die?

Post by spin »

terrykimson wrote:I really want to know if where do we go when we die, I have witnessed a sudden death last night after a motorcycle accident happened just a couple of drive after he overtaken me.

Strange - is it not? That of the myriads who
Before us passed the door of Darkness through,
Not one returns to tell us of the road
Which to discover we must travel too.
- Omar Khayyam

I asked earlier in this thread, "where does the flame go when the candle comes to an end?"

It seems I need to point out that the question "where do we go when we die?" seems to be problematic in that dying should be an end of us, so that "where do we go" may not make sense because there may not, as is probable, be a we to go anywhere.

Omar Khayyam states the issue with resolve.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

terrykimson wrote:I really want to know if where do we go when we die, I have witnessed a sudden death last night after a motorcycle accident happened just a couple of drive after he overtaken me.
Would you be inclined to believe that this cosmic consciousness is the next evolutionary step for your consciousness?

http://vimeo.com/26318064

Regards
DL
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

cmarie wrote:Okay, I'm just going to ask it. What happens when we die?
Around where I live, it is thought that you go to Pittsburgh, PA.
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Would you be inclined to believe that this cosmic consciousness is the next evolutionary step for your consciousness?

Regards
DL
My issue is we know from observation that when certain brain structures become damaged the "we" we were is no more. The more damage, the less functionality the brain has and the less the "we" of the past characterizes the "we" of the present. So why do you assume that when the brain is starved of oxygen for say an hour or two, and the brain cells become permanently destroyed, that "we" can live on? It seems like wishful thinking that flies in the face of observed fact.
toejam

Post by toejam »

I don't think you "go" anywhere. You simply cease to exist - just as when happens when you're in a deep sleep. I do hope I'm wrong though.

If there is some sort of reincarnation, I don't see any reason to think you will have any recollection of your former life so it doesn't make sense to say that "you" are back.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Tonto Goldstein wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL
My issue is we know from observation that when certain brain structures become damaged the "we" we were is no more. The more damage, the less functionality the brain has and the less the "we" of the past characterizes the "we" of the present. So why do you assume that when the brain is starved of oxygen for say an hour or two, and the brain cells become permanently destroyed, that "we" can live on? It seems like wishful thinking that flies in the face of observed fact.
Our brains are analogous to a computer. I can upload my files today to a mainframe/cosmic consciousness and burn out half my memory right after and still have a semi-functioning brain/computer.

Regards
DL
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

[quote=Our brains are analogous to a computer. I can upload my files today to a mainframe/cosmic consciousness and burn out half my memory right after and still have a semi-functioning brain/computer.

Regards
DL[/quote]

Yeah, right. So what's the transmission medium from your brain to the cosmic mainframe? Alpha waves generated by the pineal gland? So why is it that when someone has a stroke and it leads to aphasia, that the cosmic mainframe doesn't do a restore operation and return language recognition to the afflicted? You immaterialists and your cosmic debris which can never be tested or known. Baseless speculation and wishful thinking are not pathways to truth.

Regards,
Rich
spin

Post by spin »

Tonto Goldstein wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Our brains are analogous to a computer. I can upload my files today to a mainframe/cosmic consciousness and burn out half my memory right after and still have a semi-functioning brain/computer.
Yeah, right. So what's the transmission medium from your brain to the cosmic mainframe? Alpha waves generated by the pineal gland? So why is it that when someone has a stroke and it leads to aphasia, that the cosmic mainframe doesn't do a restore operation and return language recognition to the afflicted?
The reboot would kill you.

:whistling:
Tonto Goldstein wrote:You immaterialists and your cosmic debris which can never be tested or known. Baseless speculation and wishful thinking are not pathways to truth.
"Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?"
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Tonto Goldstein wrote:[quote=Our brains are analogous to a computer. I can upload my files today to a mainframe/cosmic consciousness and burn out half my memory right after and still have a semi-functioning brain/computer.

Regards
DL
Yeah, right. So what's the transmission medium from your brain to the cosmic mainframe? Alpha waves generated by the pineal gland? So why is it that when someone has a stroke and it leads to aphasia, that the cosmic mainframe doesn't do a restore operation and return language recognition to the afflicted? You immaterialists and your cosmic debris which can never be tested or known. Baseless speculation and wishful thinking are not pathways to truth.

Regards,
Rich[/quote]

I agree. That is why I have based my beliefs on personal experience. Knowledge as opposed to hearsay or booksay.

The person you speak of has had a harm done to their hard drive, so to speak. Information cannot repair what cannot be repaired.

My beliefs have a base but I have no proof to offer and only offer my anecdotal story for your files. Not you belief.

Regards
DL
Sheshbazzar

Post by Sheshbazzar »

John T wrote:
If spin, ad hominem attacks and lies don't make the source of truth go away, they will stick their fingers in their ears, i.e. hit the "ignore button" and turn their back on the source.

John T
Interesting. I have noted that John T seems to be unaware of, and does respond to the posts I have made, pointing out the glaring errors in his 'logic'.
I am inclined therefore to think that 'ol John T here, not wanting to read, hear, or know the truth, has himself blinded himself, and has his own fingers firmly stuck in his ears.

So here I'll hail him yet again. Yo, John T are you reading this?

If you are reading this John, I have other posts directed to you that I have been patiently waiting to hear your response to.

I have no one on ignore. I want to know what every person has to say, no matter how ignorant, stupid, or offensive it might be. Whatever, what ever it is they may write or reply, is a reflection upon themselves. Nothing better than when an adversary manages to hoist themselves by their own petard.