Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... CgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL
Jax

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Post by Jax »

Where do you draw the line?

And when you do, how do you enforce it?
jferris

Post by jferris »

Perhaps you could specify what kind of behaviour you would categorize as fraudulent?

How would you characterize non-fraudulent activity? Authentic? Genuine?

Can you give some examples of fraudulent vs. non-fraudulent religious activity? What criteria would you invoke to measure religious fraud?
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Scotus seems to think not.

Andrew Criddle
iskander

Post by iskander »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... CgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:53 am Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?
No, "fraudulent religions" have been ' regulated' by the keepers of the ' non-fraudulent religions' from time immemorial.
Jesus is one example of how this regulation of fraudulent religions operated .
iskander

Post by iskander »

One regulated fraud

http://www.jesus-story.net/painting_crucifixion.htm

Jan Hus, Joan of Arc and ... are other examples .
iskander

Post by iskander »

And Gilad Atzmon would make an excellent candidate for regulation, apparently

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3816
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Jax wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:05 pm Where do you draw the line?

And when you do, how do you enforce it?
I have shown where I draw the line.
At lies designed to fleece the weakest and most gullible minds/victims. IOW, fraud.

I cannot enforce it by the government and legal systems can.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

jferris wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 am Perhaps you could specify what kind of behaviour you would categorize as fraudulent?

How would you characterize non-fraudulent activity? Authentic? Genuine?

Can you give some examples of fraudulent vs. non-fraudulent religious activity? What criteria would you invoke to measure religious fraud?
Lying that is designed to fleece our most gullible, which includes all that the lying clergy say of God and the supernatural.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668D_MeV1nY

I recognize that local churches do some decent social work, but they need not continue to lie to people to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9zwqmUiY0

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

andrewcriddle wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 am Scotus seems to think not.

Andrew Criddle
Not quite how I read the report. It looks like the judges screwed up and no real decision was reached on regulations.

Since the government and law makers in the U.S. just ruled against polygamy, regulations are well within it's jurisdiction.

Regards
DL