The mythicists are heirs of Pelagius, not of Marcion or gnosticism

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Giuseppe

The mythicists are heirs of Pelagius, not of Marcion or gnosticism

Post by Giuseppe »

TRIBUTE TO PELAGIUS

Even if I like to emphasize the weight of gnosticism and Marcion on the formation of the Gospels (with effects also on the epistles of the true Paul, also), I would like to point out also that the modern Mythicism is not a Gnostic revival.

I am not Gnostic.

We mythicists are not modern docetists.

Modern mythicism is more in continuity - to the extreme logical effects - of Pelagius's Theology.

more precisely, not of Pelagius (who remained Catholic, after all), but of the his pelagian followers, decisively more radical in their separation from Rome than their master.

The essence of Pelagianism - and both Saint Augustine and Schopenhauer agree on this point - is to make vain the sacrifice of Christ.

As Saint Augustine argued, if the example of the ancients is sufficient to have a good behavior, then the example of Christ (on the Cross) is vain and useless for the good behavior of the true Christians.

Trasposed from the abstract theological field to a historical field, this is translated so: if the example of the dying-and-rising gods is sufficient to give birth to Christianity, the hypothesis of a historical Jesus is vain and useless (in order to explain the real Christian Origins).

Saint Augustine is called an ''intellectual'' by Richard Carrier, with the quotation marks to despise him. But his attack to Pelagius is sufficient, in my eyes, to consider Saint Augustine a real Genius, since he prefigured the modern mythicism behind the theological threat of Pelagius.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.