Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Gnostic Bishop

Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

You may use whatever set of commandments you think Yahweh gave. There are a number of renditions.

As for the Gnostic commandments, I offer the following.

1. You shall place no commandments above these unless proven to be morally superior.
2. You shall value all people as equal before the law. The inequality of outcome is punishment enough of itself.
3. You shall live by the golden rule and respond with reciprocity of harm or care to what is done to you.
4. Use Gnosis and put logic and reason and their proofs above faith, which by its nature has no proofs, logic or reason.
5. You shall leave the environment in a better condition than what is given to you as an inheritance to your next generation.
6. You shall not impoverish the next generation and live according to the means you produce as their labor and wealth is theirs and not yours to squander.

Gnostic Christianity and free thinking lost the God wars when the Orthodox Church decimated us and burned most of our scriptures. I think that Gnostic Christians had a superior set of commandments then as well as now. Those commandments were not only meant for seekers after a God but also a guide to secular law. Both secular law and Christianity seemed to ignore the second commandment of equality till our modern era. As a Gnostic Christian, I ask (rhetorically), what took the world so long to catch up to Gnostic Christian thinking and what is Islam and other backwards thinking people waiting for.

Many have a problem with the 10 commandments given by Yahweh so I thought I would see if there is a consensus of thought on the Gnostic Christian ideology as compared to the Christian ideology. The main complaints I see are that Yahweh’s commandments have created a Christian ideology that denies gays and women equality. I think all souls to be created equal and thus deserving of equal human statue and citizenship.

Others as seen in these two link have their own views and I would add that I think Yahweh’s no divorce policy, --- which Jesus confirms. --- and Yahweh’s policy of accepting bribes, ransoms or sacrifices (these are all analogue) to alter his usual and moral policy punishing the guilty and not the innocent, --- to the immoral policy of punishing the innocent instead of the guilty, as exemplified by his accepting Jesus as a sacrifice to save sinners whom God himself created to be sinners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u3z69YpLx0#t=100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfGRN4HVrQ

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards
DL
Nasruddin

Re: Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

Post by Nasruddin »

What is "the golden rule" of commandment 3?
Gnostic Bishop

Re: Which commandments do you think are superior; Yahweh’s or Gnostic Christianity’s?

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Nasruddin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:00 pm What is "the golden rule" of commandment 3?
It has various ways of being said but is basically a reciprocity rule.

Do unto others as you would want done to you.

That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor is another way of putting it.

I use more of a Harm/Care ideology and return evil for evil as I do not believe in turning the other cheek type of ideology as that rewards evil with good and goes against reciprocity being fair play.

Regards
DL
Nasruddin

Post by Nasruddin »

So 'an eye for eye, a tooth for a tooth' kind of principle?
Nasruddin

Post by Nasruddin »

You posit your 6 Commandments against the Hebrew 10 Commandments, but also say "The main complaints I see are that Yahweh’s commandments have created a Christian ideology that denies gays and women equality."

Can you explain how the 10 Commandents lead you to that position?
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Nasruddin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:03 am So 'an eye for eye, a tooth for a tooth' kind of principle?
Yes, in the sense that the penalty should suit the offence.

I was speaking more of the mental side of things, but yes, although tempered with a bit of mercy as evil people are evil thanks to rearing or nurture and not nature. Evil people are made that way. They are not born that way.

To the mental aspect, I apply the following.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Being corrected, even if done with love, will hurt the mind of the one being corrected to some extent, even if they thank you for it.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Nasruddin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:14 am You posit your 6 Commandments against the Hebrew 10 Commandments, but also say "The main complaints I see are that Yahweh’s commandments have created a Christian ideology that denies gays and women equality."

For the inequality of women, it is obvious since in the not coveting commandment, women are mentioned with other possessions. This causes Christians to value souls with different values and I think this leads to the ease with which Christians denigrate and discriminate against gays.

The gay part is an extrapolation of the inequality that Christians allow themselves with women and not a direct result of any commandment.

Christians took the same inequality to advocate for slavery.

Once you create an inequality category, it becomes easier to add those you do not like to it.

Regards
DL
Nasruddin

Post by Nasruddin »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm Yes, in the sense that the penalty should suit the offence.

I was speaking more of the mental side of things, but yes, although tempered with a bit of mercy as evil people are evil thanks to rearing or nurture and not nature. Evil people are made that way. They are not born that way.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Being corrected, even if done with love, will hurt the mind of the one being corrected to some extent, even if they thank you for it.

Regards
DL
Your 2nd Commandment is that all people are equal before the law. So what justifies the "tempered with a bit of mercy" that you say would be exercised towards those with evil upbringing? If some people should be punished less for having done the same crime as someone else, then that is not equality, nor an adherence to the 'golden rule' of Commandment 3.
Nasruddin

Post by Nasruddin »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:59 pm
Nasruddin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:14 am You posit your 6 Commandments against the Hebrew 10 Commandments, but also say "The main complaints I see are that Yahweh’s commandments have created a Christian ideology that denies gays and women equality."

For the inequality of women, it is obvious since in the not coveting commandment, women are mentioned with other possessions. This causes Christians to value souls with different values and I think this leads to the ease with which Christians denigrate and discriminate against gays.

The gay part is an extrapolation of the inequality that Christians allow themselves with women and not a direct result of any commandment.

Christians took the same inequality to advocate for slavery.

Once you create an inequality category, it becomes easier to add those you do not like to it.

Regards
DL
I see your point. Jesus omitted that commandment in Matthew 19:18-19. Christian discrimination against gays, as you say, is not the fault of the Commandments, but comes from other Biblical passages.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Nasruddin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:51 pm Yes, in the sense that the penalty should suit the offence.

Regards
DL
Your 2nd Commandment is that all people are equal before the law. So what justifies the "tempered with a bit of mercy" that you say would be exercised towards those with evil upbringing? If some people should be punished less for having done the same crime as someone else, then that is not equality, nor an adherence to the 'golden rule' of Commandment 3.
In law, every offence has a range of penalties.

In a case where there is no remorse shown a judge would likely go for the greater penalty.
In a case where remorse is shown then the judge would likely go for the lower penalty.
That does not deny equality under the law. That is the mercy part of the law.
The victim who did not see remorse may gain closure by the harshest penalty.
The victim who sees remorse may gain closure by the lesser penalty.

The Golden rule is a reciprocity rule and reciprocity for a repenting perpetrator would and should be different for a non-repentant perpetrator.

Regards
DL