When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatur

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Gnostic Bishop

When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatur

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatural religion?

Or will you seek a moral religion to replace the immoral one you now follow, if you happen to be Christian or Muslim?

Or will you let your faith hide the truth of the immorality of your God?

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Regards
DL
John T

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supern

Post by John T »

At what age did you reach reason?

When you realized you don't know what you don't know or when you don't care to know what you don't know? :scratch:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:At what age did you reach reason?

When you realized you don't know what you don't know or when you don't care to know what you don't know? :scratch:
When I recognized that it was intellectually and morally dissonant to believe in supernatural Gods with satanic morals.

When will you realize that truth?

Regards
DL
John T

Post by John T »

Gnostic Bishop wrote:

When I recognized that it was intellectually and morally dissonant to believe in supernatural Gods with satanic morals.

Regards
DL
Which satanic morals? Please list at least three.

Thanks in advance.

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

John T wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Thanks in advance.

John T
Genocide as in Nosh's day.
Infanticide as in the story of Pharaoh's and the death of the first born.
The no divorce policy that forces people to stay in abusive or loveless situations.

The substitutionary punishment that this Bishop says will eventually kill Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNup9g ... gest-vrecs

Regards
DL
iskander

Post by iskander »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 pm
John T wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Thanks in advance.

John T
The no divorce policy that forces people to stay in abusive or loveless situations.

The substitutionary punishment that this Bishop says will eventually kill Christianity.

Regards
DL
Religions are made and maintained by men. Are we all still capable of wishing those terrible punishments on our enemies?-- and of doing it?
John T

Post by John T »

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 pm
John T wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Thanks in advance.

John T

Regards
DL
Bishop John Shelby Spong is a pathetic liar!

Your video link has him saying that the Ante-Nicene Fathers believed the Bible was the literal word of God. That God dictated it and wrote it and dropped it from heaven, fully written and divided into chapters and verses, in the original Greek language (12 minute mark).

Not even the mythicists and pseudo-atheists on this forum would dare promote a blatant lie like that. :facepalm:

Spong hopes that you will think his Gnostic views have not been considered before and that only enlightened secular progressive liberals of today can grasp what he is promoting (falsely) as the original gospel of Jesus.

I have seen this clever act before to know that Spong knows full well he is deliberately defrauding his customers.

Much like a used car salesman.

Buyer beware!
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 pm
Bishop John Shelby Spong is a pathetic liar!

Your video link has him saying that the Ante-Nicene Fathers believed the Bible was the literal word of God. That God dictated it and wrote it and dropped it from heaven, fully written and divided into chapters and verses, in the original Greek language (12 minute mark).

Not even the mythicists and pseudo-atheists on this forum would dare promote a blatant lie like that. :facepalm:

Spong hopes that you will think his Gnostic views have not been considered before and that only enlightened secular progressive liberals of today can grasp what he is promoting (falsely) as the original gospel of Jesus.

I have seen this clever act before to know that Spong knows full well he is deliberately defrauding his customers.

Buyer beware!
Have you heard of "figures of speech"? Do you know how they are used and why? What about "hyperbole"?

Spong is addressing a very sophisticated audience who know a thing or two about the Bible, Christian history and theology, and what various scholars say about the Bible. He knows full well that his audience knows our division of chapters and verses was introduced long after the fourth century.

Sometimes a little study in English expression, rhetoric, literature, style can be a useful adjunct to biblical studies -- you know, just to help us understand the norms of expression such as when a figure of speech is used for rhetorical effect with certain audiences in mind.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Re: When you reach the age of reason, will you reject supernatur

Post by neilgodfrey »

I'm reminded of another instance of ignorance of English expressions and their rhetorical functions. A BBC journalist had his work read by people who did not understand the fundamentals of figures of speech and accordingly interpreted his writing as an insulting claim that North Koreans were "like dogs". His literary insult? He wrote:
"Do you think Korean people are ugly?" the older man asked.

"No," I answered.

"Do you think Korean people have voices like dogs?"

"No," I answered again.

"Then why do you write these things?!" he shouted.

I was confused. What could they mean? One of the articles was presented to me, the offending passage circled in black marker pen:
"The grim-faced customs officer is wearing one of those slightly ridiculous oversized military caps that they were so fond of in the Soviet Union. It makes the slightly built North Korean in his baggy uniform comically top heavy. "Open," he grunts, pointing at my mobile phone. I dutifully punch in the passcode. He grabs it back and goes immediately to photos. He scrolls through pictures of my children skiing, Japanese cherry blossom, the Hong Kong skyline. Apparently satisfied he turns to my suitcase. "Books?" he barks. No, no books. "Movies?" No, no movies. I am sent off to another desk where a much less gruff lady is already looking through my laptop."
"Are they serious?" I thought. They had taken "grim-faced" to mean "ugly", and the use of the word "barks" as an indication that I thought they sounded like dogs.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36200530

Accusing Spong of being a liar is as ridiculous as that little bit of ignorance of how the English language works.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
iskander

Post by iskander »

John T wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 pm
.. he is promoting (falsely) as the original gospel of Jesus.

Buyer beware!
He has a very personal understanding of Jesus ----and the fall of mankind, which is rooted on the miserable human condition . A human condition which is no better than that of a 'clever' animal .

I stopped his babble early. It is amazing to see how many charlatans make a living, on either side of the religious divide, by selling their profound wisdom. !!!
Last edited by iskander on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.