How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Why?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

davidbrainerd

Re: How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Wh

Post by davidbrainerd »

Probably because Leftism comes from believing in the authority of the libtard Jesus found in the synoptic gospels, so if you think he's a myth, you're free to think realistically. Why is it that every race but whites can have racial organizations? NAACP, La Raza, etc. Mexican Restaurants can hire all Mexicans, Asian restaurants can hire all Asians, black businesses can hire all blacks, but whites can't hire all whites. Antiracism=antiwhite. Oh, and "multiculturalism is great, so let's only do it in white countries to wipe out whitey." Its a simple fact, bourne out by keeping your eyes open and experiencing the world. If you still believe that the mythical Jesus is a real God, you will hide your head in the fantasy land of his love everybody more than yourself to your own destruction teachings, turn the other cheek, lend to everyone who asks and never ask them to pay you back, blah blah blah, but once you realize he's a myth, why should his nonsensical teachings cause you to march your own race to extermination?
neilgodfrey

Re: How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Wh

Post by neilgodfrey »

I suspect the numbers involved are so few that they make any correlation with political views meaningless with respect to establishing a meaningful statistical pattern.

I once attempted to suggest to Earl Doherty that his method of approaching historical Jesus studies was totally unlike his knee-jerk responses to media bytes -- attempting to encourage him to do the same in-depth research into the political issues he felt so strongly about that he is well-known for in his Jesus research. I tried to point him towards some highly reputable publications that offer evidence-based explanations for certain actions of individuals and nations.

But he would have none of it. His reply was that his experience had taught him that the lay outsider could be a lot more knowledgeable and understanding than the establishment academics. He was of course referring his experience with biblical scholars like McGrath and Ehrman.

Of course the big difference in that case is that Doherty has indeed studied the academic works embraced by the McGraths and Ehrmans. But he has not read squat about research into the current affairs he feels most strongly about.

That little exchange led me to conclude that Doherty is no different from anyone else in the community who applies serious intellectual skills to their pet hobby horse but not to some other part of their life where for whatever personal-history reason they react to emotionally and with little knowledge.

At the time I was posting on Vridar a series of articles on propaganda and how certain keywords/images/symbols/ manipulated people to think and feel in certain ways towards political affairs -- and he assumed I was deliberately aiming those posts at him.

There is no correlation between the work of a serious mythicist like Earl Doherty on the one hand and his naive political views on the other.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
lpetrich

Re: How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Why?

Post by lpetrich »

Over in some other forums there is someone whom I shall call BJ. He makes a big fuss about Jesus Christ's Jewishness, and he sometimes seems to think that there is some big movement to deny that. He also seems to think that Jesus mythicism is the ultimate in denying Jesus Christ's Jewishness, something that he considers anti-Semitic. Also that anti-Semitism is the ultimate origin of Jesus mythicism.

Thus implying that if you think that Jesus Christ was a myth, that that is because you hate Jews.
John T

Post by John T »

I always thought mythicists tend to be ardent atheists and most ardent atheists tend to be communists, therefore, most mythicists would be ardent supporters of Bernie Sanders.

On a side note, Trump won thanks to the black vote.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

John T wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am ... most ardent atheists tend to be communists ...
That's highly unlikely. There are few communists anywhere these days, other than China & Vietnam, and maybe Cuba.

John T wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 am most ardent atheists tend to be communists, therefore, most mythicists would be ardent supporters of Bernie Sanders.
ah, No. Sanders is unlikely to be a communist.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

I wouldn't take John T's comment seriously. He is joking, no doubt.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

If by "joking" you mean trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. "trolling"), then yes.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
John T

Post by John T »

Peter Kirby wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm If by "joking" you mean trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. "trolling"), then yes.
Just giving a tit for tat.

Just exposing the absurd by being absurd and finally, beautifully proving once again the double standard of liberal hypocrisy.

Voltaire would be proud. :cheeky:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:42 am

Just exposing the absurd by being absurd and finally, beautifully proving once again the double standard of liberal hypocrisy.

Yeh, it's those hypocrites with double standards who give all hypocrisy a bad name.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

John T wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:42 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm If by "joking" you mean trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. "trolling"), then yes.
Just giving a tit for tat.

Voltaire would be proud. :cheeky:
Well, to tell the truth, Voltaire was kind of a twat.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown