How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Why?

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

Giuseppe

Re: How Many Mythicists Identify With the White Right and Wh

Post by Giuseppe »

So he says that "mythicists" must be atheists who are trying to make a slam-dunk argument for removing Christian influence in American society by stating that Jesus didn't exist
I think that the contrary is more probable: that after having realized that mythicism is true then one would like more to remove Christian influence in society. A Church that insists on the historicity of Jesus seems naturally more corrupted, in my eyes, than a Church who eclipses a historical Jesus.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

neilgodfrey wrote:
Secret Alias wrote:Clearly Richard Carrier is not allied with this movement and this is not meant to tarnish the reputations of any or all mythicists. But it is incredible to me when I look at Facebook how many mythicists are active in the anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant movement afoot in the world. Robert Price, Hermann Detering, Ralph Lataster all are cheering on the victory in the US Elections. Am I missing any one? Thoughts on the connection here? Is there a pattern dating back to Wells?

What I find odd is that the backbone of the election victory in the United States was rural evangelical Christians. This group swung the election for Trump in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania (and almost in Minnesota and Virginia). To my understanding the connection is support for the continued white hegemony. In the minds of the mythicists (save perhaps for Lataster who is an anarchist) white is right. Am I missing something?
Where does Hermann Detering cheer the victory? (Not doubting your statement - just want to know.)

I don't think Raphael Lataster's FB comment (at least the one I've seen on his own FB page) is unequivocal cheering for Trump. He concedes Trump could destroy us all. He (Raphael) is commenting on the raw fact, I think, that we have witnessed a popular reaction against neoliberalism.
I have slightly engaged Raphael Lataster in Facebook and it is clear he can hardly be said to be "cheering on the [Trump] victory in the US elections". Not at all. He is a Greenie for a start. His problem is with the responses of Democratic voters to the Trump victory -- though I personally think his criticisms are not deeply informed.

So I'm wondering now about the other names mentioned here. I do know Doherty and Price are pro-Trump. As for Detering I have no idea (only the rumour of the OP that turned out to be wrong in the case of RL).
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Charles Wilson wrote:
Secret Alias wrote:This - "Again, typical Leftist Cant" - makes it clear where you stand. Thanks
Stephan --

You have no earthly idea where I stand on anything. See: Your own F-Bomb laced tirade when I "came back" to this site.
No earthly idea?, even after you write "typical Leftist Cant" and then
Charles Wilson wrote:
Secret Alias wrote:Am I missing something?
Yeah. Reality, mostly. You condemn others to the Slavery of Class Distinctions while you - YOU!!! - can transcend those Class Strictures. Typical Leftist claptrap.
I think we get some idea where you stand on many, many, things.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

neilgodfrey wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
Secret Alias wrote:Where does Hermann Detering cheer the victory? (Not doubting your statement - just want to know.)
As for Detering I have no idea (only the rumour of the OP that turned out to be wrong in the case of RL).
Well, since Detering also hosts a popular website dedicated to Marxist writings, I seriously doubt that he is a Trump admirer.

DCH
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Sure that Doherty is pro Trump? Here he seems rather different:

By the way, I make a reluctant prediction right now: Donald Trump will be the next U.S. President.
Source: http://vridar.org/2016/09/07/two-caliph ... ment-79432
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

neilgodfrey wrote:I think we get some idea where you stand on many, many, things.
DCH --

I believe that you do. That other person in the dialogue: Not so much. Trust me when I tell ya'.

You don't have to practice to be miserable.

Kant to Hegel to Marx is not a Baseball Hall of Fame Infield Double Play trio. Class Analysis is a dead end. When Truth is Class Functional there is no Truth. The more puerile form these days is used to find Me-Too support for like minded people, hence the criticism of the Thread Subject. If Trump is criticised for not wanting to accept the election results, why is it Man-the-Ramparts time when Hillary loses? 'Cos it's not the consistency that matters - it's Class Membership. Besides, what's this got to do with Archelaus? Clement? Whatever each of us studies? The question answers itself.

CW
Clive

Post by Clive »

I would look somewhere else.

Just found some fascinating stuff about a relative, and would ask questions about males, power structures, abusive relationships, stuff that is in the news.

It isn't obvious that categories like whit and right and liking myth have uncovered enough levels. Those, with religious structures, sports structures, celebrity, feel like vehicles for the use of power.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
DCHindley

How Many Mythicists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Post by DCHindley »

Five

1 to read The Golden Bough from front to back, to see if screwing produces enlightenment.
1 to research light bulb technology, so as to produce the most screwing synergy (e.g., with the rotation of the earth or against it).
1 to hold the bulb to the socket (this is the totem, for it was found in TGB that one cannot screw unless one is erect).
2 to pick up the bulb holder and turn him bodily in a clockwise direction (otherwise he might get away, being a sacrifice).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

With regards to Detering he (a) likes what I consider to be far-right things posted in Price's newsfeed and (b) supports the purging of Muslims from Europe. The fact that he used to be a Marxist or whatever does not disprove the clear anti-immigrant sentiment on his newsfeed.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I won't get into RL but he was clearly for Trump during the last election cycle.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote