Grateful Dead

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

John2

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by John2 »

That sounds similar to Jerry's acoustic album from the 1990's called Shady Grove that he recorded with David Grisman (who is Jewish and has an album that was recorded around the same time called Songs of Our Fathers). That takes me back. Thanks, arnoldo.

Last edited by John2 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

I thought that Amazing Grace sounded a lot like the Shady Grove album, and it turns out that it was also recorded with David Grisman around the same time and released on a later album I haven't heard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pizza_Tapes
Last edited by John2 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

I came across this review the other day that sums up my experience of the Dead as well:

... it always amazes me how much the band kept moving from year to year, constantly developing and building on top of each other. True musicianship and genuine love (hard to come by these days) for the music is what everyone in the Dead was about, that's one of the reasons I've been drawn to the Grateful Dead. Not to mention the ridiculous skill and ability to telepathically communicate on-stage, mid-jam; with their instruments. They really are a musical phenomenon, it's hard to explain this to people when I try to show them cool moments/jams; they just don't see it like I do. I'm sure most people on here that are heads have had that experience. It almost makes it more magical in the end though... but for the millions and millions that do GET it and carry on the torch and still carry it, thanks. I wouldn't have gotten introduced to them if it weren't for a friend that showed me them a few years back. I was immediately taken by Jerry's soulfulness in his guitar playing and his vocals/voice. When I dug deeper, I realized just how awesome everyone in the band was from every era, all adding some sort of spice to the recipe for on-stage experimental madness; of which was different and awesome every damn time. This music will carry on forever. This song reminds me of the time I got into the Grateful Dead and I remember just being completely blown away at this absolutely beautiful rendition of Morning Dew, almost as if it was like; "Where the fuck have I been all these years, and why haven't I been listening to these guys? Nobody else is like them.

I've been on the fence about whether or not this is the right forum for discussing the Dead, that perhaps it ought to be in the Lounge, but no, this is where it should be. As I mentioned, I got into the Dead and Judaism around the same time, and twenty years later I'm still listening to and finding new things in and being "spiritually" moved by the Dead, and my interest in observing Judaism is long gone.
Last edited by John2 on Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Not to make anything of it, but it so happens that right after I sent the above post someone walked into my work place wearing a Terrapin Station shirt. I didn't say anything.
Last edited by John2 on Fri May 01, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

I've never been into prayer. Maybe it's a deaf thing. I just don't like mumbling things out loud. But if I have a prayer these days it would be these lines from Terrapin Station:

Light the song with sense and color, hold away despair. More than this I will not ask, faced with mysteries dark and vast.
Last edited by John2 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Oooh, this Here Comes Sunshine (second on the list at headyversion.com) is more my cup of tea (track 6). Nothing like 1974.

https://archive.org/details/gd74-02-23. ... ad1t06.shn

I used to like this 11/17/73 version too, and since I only had the first set and the whole show has raving reviews I thought I'd put it here so I can explore the second set.

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-11-1 ... d1t02.flac
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Okay, this might make me a believer in 1977. I'm in the mood for a good Music Never Stopped today and this one sounds great so far (track 9). "They're a band beyond description, like Jehovah's favorite choir."

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-06-0 ... d1t09.flac

This show also has the best Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo I've ever heard (track 1). "They say that Cain caught Abel rolling loaded dice, ace of spades behind his ear and him not thinking twice."
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

That 1977 show also has a Franklin's Tower, which is one of my favorite Dead songs. I think it sounds great in the studio version and the lyrics have always resonated with me.

In another time's forgotten space
Your eyes looked from your mother's face
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone
May the four winds blow you safely home.

Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew
Roll away the dew

I'll tell you where the four winds dwell
In Franklin's tower there hangs a bell
It can ring, turn night to day
Ring like fire when you lose your way.

God save the child who rings that bell
It may have one good ring, baby, you can't tell
One watch by night, one watch by day
If you get confused listen to the music play.

Some come to laugh their past away
Some come to make it just one more day
Whichever way your pleasure tends
If you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind.

In Franklin's tower the four winds sleep
Like four lean hounds the lighthouse keep
Wildflower seed on the sand and wind
May the four winds blow you home again.
Last edited by John2 on Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

I just saw this review of the last Grateful Dead shows in Chicago by someone else who was there (I was there for the very last show on Sunday).

At some point during the weekend, everybody started calling the band “the Grateful Dead.” I never saw Jerry Garcia in the flesh, but I’ve been attending Dead-related concerts for roughly 16 years. At each of these shows there was an underlying element of caution or trepidation — “the Other Ones,” “Phil And Friends,” “the Dead,” “Further,” even “the Dark Star Orchestra” — the prevailing energy was something of a rough sketch or outline of what had come before, a loving tribute or a memory. Sure, it was great, even transcendent, to get together with old friends and sing along, but we all knew this wasn’t the real thing. The musicians knew this too, and labeled each band accordingly. Without Garcia, there could be no Grateful Dead. Last weekend at Soldier Field, that all melted away ...

I shed tears during “Attics Of My Life,” as did many, if not most, of the fans around me. The outpouring of emotion was overwhelming. I have never had any affinity for any kind of organized religion, and felt conflicted as I wondered, “Do I belong to some kind of church? Is this our most sacred hymn?”

http://www.stereogum.com/1813967/alex-b ... ing-board/

In the attics of my life, full of cloudy dreams unreal.
Full of tastes no tongue can know, and lights no eyes can see.
When there was no ear to hear, you sang to me.

I have spent my life seeking all that's still unsung.
Bent my ear to hear the tune, and closed my eyes to see.
When there was no strings to play, you played to me.

In the book of love's own dream, where all the print is blood.
Where all the pages are my days, and all the lights grow old.
When I had no wings to fly, you flew to me, you flew to me.

In the secret space of dreams, where I dreaming lay amazed.
When the secrets all are told, and the petals all unfold.
When there was no dream of mine, you dreamed of me.

And I just saw this other review of the last Chicago shows and thought I'd add it here.

Entering the arena on Friday, red rose in hand, a guy coming in beside us quipped, “When have you ever been among 70,000 people who were all this happy?" That statement stayed with me all weekend, because it was true. There were no hassles, no impatient lines, no pushing or shoving. Everyone was super-mellow and pretty much on their best, most polite behavior -- including the stadium security and ushers (also in tie-dye). The vibes were very high ...

Bottom line: I would not have missed this for the world! What a blast it was!! There is still nothing under the sun quite like a Grateful Dead concert. And like that they bid us goodnight, and goodbye.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... well-essay
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 18 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

It's the Fourth of July and now I have the quintessential Grateful Dead song Jack Straw in my head (which references the holiday). It's always been one of my favorites, both musically and lyrically, and this version (track 8) is the most beautiful I've ever heard.

https://archive.org/details/gd74-06-23. ... 3d1t08.shn
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.