Grateful Dead

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

arnoldo

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by arnoldo »

John2

Post by John2 »

Boulder, eh? It's been taking me some time to get to these shows, and not being a "Weight" guy I was a little disappointed at first, but since I happened to watch Easy Rider for the first time the other day and it has the Weight in it, I thought I'd give it another chance today. And I like that China/Rider and the Scarlet is okay (and I wouldn't mind hearing the rest of the following Franklin's and Fire on the Mountain). All in all, it seems like it was a great tour and I'm glad the Dead scene still exists.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

I believe this is the entire set.

Set 1: China Cat Sunflower I Know You Rider Shakedown Street Brown-Eyed Women Althea Cassidy One More Saturday Night Set 2: Scarlet Begonias Franklin's Tower Fire on the Mountain He's Gone Jam The Other One Drums Space The Other One Days Between Sugar Magnolia Encore: Uncle John's Band Ripple
John2

Post by John2 »

"Roll away the dew!" Thanks, arnoldo. And now I'm enjoying that Fire on the Mountain. It's funny, as far as the Dead and religion goes, you might think Fire on the Mountain would have been a big one for me, and while I do like it, it tends to strike me as being tedious and I don't care for the lyrics at all. ("There's a dragon with matches that's loose on the town"?) I'd say the "best" version I've heard is from a post-Jerry show I saw at the Warfield in San Francisco in 2001 (if mainly for the memory), followed by this one from 1988 (in a show that also has a great Eyes of the World).

https://archive.org/details/gd1988-03-2 ... ntain.flac

Dt. 4:11-12:

You came near and stood at the foot of the mountain while it blazed with fire to the very heavens, with black clouds and deep darkness. Then the Lord spoke to you out of the fire. You heard the sound of words but saw no form; there was only a voice.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

I'm reconnecting with a friend from back when who is having a Grateful Dead revival and they have recommended a run of shows that I'd always heard of but never got around to listening to (Alpine Valley July 1989), and after perusing the set lists and various soundboard recordings, I like the middle show the most (to judge from Jack Straw, Bird Song and Scarlet Begonias). As a reviewer writes:

More Alpine '89 madness; this "underdog", if you will, of the run might just be my favorite of the three nights. Just thrillingly dialed in.

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-07-1 ... Straw.flac

And that Scarlet Begonias in the above Alpine Valley show is one of my favorites now. I listen to that solo a lot and it has become a part of my life, and since I really like the song anyway, I thought I'd collate the others ones I like the most, since I've been in a Scarlet Begonias mood lately, and I think they will serve to illustrate how unique every version of a particular Dead song can be (with the "best" one for me being a toss up between Alpine Valley and 5/8/77). So, in order of date, here are the other ones. And as the song goes, "Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

10/16/74:

12/31/76:

5/8/77 (starts about 1:30):

Last edited by John2 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

John2

Post by John2 »

Oh, the Mexico shows. Thanks for the reminder, arnoldo.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Audio from the Mexico show available for download at the following link
https://archive.org/details/DeadCo2019- ... ipple.flac
John2

Post by John2 »

My only complaint (as a hearing impaired person) would be that the sound on those above video and audio links is very low for some reason (and the audio link has an "audience recording" feel to it, which I typically don't care for). Oh, well.

And while I'm here, I've been revisiting some early era Dead lately, which I liked more when I was younger but is generally "too darn loud" for me now, and this one reminds me of when "the bus came by and I got on," as the song goes.

And while I'm still here and in an Other One and early Dead mood, here's another one I enjoyed back when and find "too darn loud" these days (and which, in my view, actually "starts" about 9:40; I've never cared to sit through that intro and overly long drum solo, but whatever floats your boat).

Last edited by John2 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

No, I'll take good ol' 1972 over 1970. And here is my favorite version of my all-time favorite Grateful Dead song (lyrically speaking, at least).

Gone are the days when the ox fall down
Take up the yoke and plow the fields around
Gone are the days when the ladies said "Please,
Gentle Jack Jones won't you come home to me."

Brown eyed women and red grenadine
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean
Sound of the thunder with the rain pouring down
And it looks like the old man is getting on

1920 when he stepped to the bar
Drank to the dregs of the whiskey jar
1930 when the wall caved in
He made his way selling red eye gin

Delilah Jones was the mother of twins
Two times over and the rest were sins
Raised eight boys, only I turned bad
Didn't get the lickings that the other ones had

Tumble down shack in Big Foot County
Snowed so hard that the roof caved in
Delilah Jones went to meet her God
And the old man never was the same again

Dad made whiskey and he made it well
Cost two dollars and it burned like hell
I cut hickory just to fire the still
Drink down a bottle and you're ready to kill

Brown eyed women and red grenadine
The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean
Sound of the thunder with the rain pouring down
And it looks like the old man is getting on
Last edited by John2 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.