The Baha'i Source some call God(s) and why I believe in God.

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

shunyadragon

Re: The Baha'i Source some call God(s) and why I believe in

Post by shunyadragon »

The Harmony of science and religion

Based on my assumptions there are many problems with the cosmogony* of ancient worldviews based on their scripture. There is a lack of guidance in the scripture of ancient religions to harmonize the evolving view of the cosmology of contemporary science with the Theological cosmogony. These ancient religions become divided and in conflict over how to integrate the evolving nature of the knowledge of science. Some resort to humanist adaptations of science remediate the conflict and become separate from churches or sects that hold to Revelation in their 'Word of God' scripture to define the nature of our physical world.

Specifically in terms of Christian Cosmogony the apostles and the by far most church fathers universally accepted the literal interpretation and understanding of scripture. This why from 40% to over 50% of all Christians in the USA reject the contemporary science of cosmology and evolution. Many if not most other Christians only accept a qualified, conditional or selective view of science in terms of cosmology and evolution.

Judaism resorts heavily on pragmatism and midrash to bypass the conflicts between scripture and science. The Theory of evolution remains controversial among conservative Orthodox Jews.

In Islam the controversy remains that many if not most Muslims reject or are uncomfortable with evolution that includes human evolution as apart of the organic evolution of all life.

The Baha'i Faith describes a relationship between religion and science that gives priority to the knowledge of science in that all scripture including Baha'i Scripture must be understood and interpreted in the light of the evolving knowledge of science. It is acknowledged that scripture is not in the language of science.

"Now, all questions of morality contained in the spiritual, immutable law of every religion are logically right. If religion were contrary to logical reason then it would cease to be a religion and be merely a tradition. Religion and science are the two wings upon which man's intelligence can soar into the heights, with which the human soul can progress. It is not possible to fly with one wing alone! Should a man try to fly with the wing of religion alone he would quickly fall into the quagmire of superstition, whilst on the other hand, with the wing of science alone he would also make no progress, but fall into the despairing slough of materialism."

Paris Talks, Pages 141-146: gr16

Harmony of Science and Religion

Another cause of dissension and disagreement is the fact that religion has been pronounced at variance with science. Between scientists and the followers of religion there has always been controversy and strife for the reason that the latter have proclaimed religion superior in authority to science and considered scientific announcement opposed to the teachings of religion. Baha'u'llah declared that religion is in complete harmony with science and reason. If religious belief and doctrine is at variance with reason, it proceeds from the limited mind of man and not from God; therefore, it is unworthy of belief and not deserving of attention; the heart finds no rest in it, and real faith is impossible. How can man believe that which he knows to be opposed to reason? Is this possible? Can the heart accept that which reason denies? Reason is the first faculty of man, and the religion of God is in harmony with it. Baha'u'llah has removed this form of dissension and discord from among mankind and reconciled science . . .

The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Pages 228-235: gr9

Among other principles of Baha'u'llah's teachings was the harmony of science and religion. Religion must stand the analysis of reason. It must agree with scientific fact and proof so that science will sanction religion and religion fortify science. Both are indissolubly welded and joined in reality. If statements and teachings of religion are found to be unreasonable and contrary to science, they are outcomes of superstition and imagination. . .

The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Pages 172-176: gr9

For example: Science describes life in terms of the ability to reproduce organisms in our world this is carbon based (organic) life. In the Baha'i scripture 'life' is described as an evolving cyclic existence of Creation including all of our physical existence. In this context stars and planets with no apparent reproductive and organic life as science would define it.

The physical universe reflects a dynamic evolving changing Creation, and our knowledge of science is likewise and evolving dynamic body of knowledge. If a source some call God(s) exists than the cosmogony of God's Creation and Revelation to humanity should reflect this evolving process, and our knowledge of science must be in harmony with the cosmogony of Revealed Religion.

*Cosmogony (or cosmogeny) is any model concerning the coming-into-existence (i.e. origin) of either the cosmos (i.e. universe), or the so-called reality of sentient beings. Developing a complete theoretical model has implications in both the philosophy of science and epistemology.

I include in cosmogony the nature and history of the cosmos including the natural history of the earth and life, because the philosophy and theology of cosmogony cannot distinctly separate these concepts.
go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.