Gnosticism in modern church

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
Carolynpwest

Gnosticism in modern church

Post by Carolynpwest »

As I am reading The Jesus Mysteries (Freke & Gandy) I am surprised by their explanations of the Gnostic views on New Testament texts. I was a Christian for 30 years and am well aquainted with teaching of many denominations. It seems to me that today we still see the same Literalist and Gnostic leanings within the churches. The Southern Baptists may be a good example of literalism while the protestant reformed church would demonstrate deeper learning. As I read p194 concerning Jewish Mythical Motifs, specifically the crossing of the Red Sea, I find the author's description of how this event was understood by the "mythical jews" to show virtual similitude to what I have been taught from many pulpits.
Aside from finding this fascinating, I am now pondering how to explain these Gnostic foundations to believers. If I want to address the formation of the New Testament and a possible mythical Jesus figure I feel the impact will be lost due to the fact that most Christians agree with this Gnostic interpretation and feel this is what God was meaning to convey in his word all along.
I would greatly appreciate any ideas on these thoughts. Unfortunately, I have no "live" person who will have these discussions with me.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Gnosticism in modern church

Post by Peter Kirby »

Welcome to the forum!

There certainly does seem to be a sense that a lot of people do feel that a non-literal interpretation "is what God was meaning to convey in his word all along." We can forget that at times. Thanks for bringing it up.

I hope you enjoy your discussions here.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Clive

Post by Clive »

May I recommend Elaine Pagels and Umberto Eco?
Umberto Eco writes in Baudolino:

in the Acts of the Apostles it says that God from one man devised our humankind to inhabit the entire face of the earth, its face – not the other side, which doesn’t exist.

“I don’t know if you have ever studied the measurements of the Temple, well don’t, because it is enough to drive you crazy. In Kings it says… In chronicles it says…

The problem however arises when you read the vision of Ezekiel. Not one measurement holds up, and so a number of pious men have admitted that Ezekiel had indeed had a vision, which is a bit like saying he had drunk too much and was seeing double. Nothing wrong with that , poor Ezekiel (he also had a right to his fun), but then Richard of St Victoire reasoned as follows: if everything, every number, every straw in the Bible has a spiritual meaning, we must clearly understand what it says literally, because it is one thing to say , for the spiritual meaning, that something is three long and another’s length is nine, since these two numbers have different mystical meanings.

“The most alert commentators have not succeeded in establishing the exact structure of the Temple. You Christians do not understand that the sacred text is born from a Voice. The Lord, haqadoch baruch hu, that the holy one, may his name always be blessed , when he speaks to his prophets, allows them to hear sounds, but does not show figures, as you people do, with your illuminated pages. The voice surely provokes images in the heart of the prophet, but these images are not immobile; they liquefy, change shape according to the melody of that voice, and if you want to reduce to images the voice of the Lord, blessed always be his name, you freeze that voice, as if it were fresh water turning to ice that no longer quenches thirst, but numbs the limbs in the chill of death,”
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Carolynpwest wrote:As I am reading The Jesus Mysteries (Freke & Gandy) I am surprised by their explanations of the Gnostic views on New Testament texts. I was a Christian for 30 years and am well aquainted with teaching of many denominations. It seems to me that today we still see the same Literalist and Gnostic leanings within the churches. The Southern Baptists may be a good example of literalism while the protestant reformed church would demonstrate deeper learning. As I read p194 concerning Jewish Mythical Motifs, specifically the crossing of the Red Sea, I find the author's description of how this event was understood by the "mythical jews" to show virtual similitude to what I have been taught from many pulpits.
Aside from finding this fascinating, I am now pondering how to explain these Gnostic foundations to believers. If I want to address the formation of the New Testament and a possible mythical Jesus figure I feel the impact will be lost due to the fact that most Christians agree with this Gnostic interpretation and feel this is what God was meaning to convey in his word all along.
I would greatly appreciate any ideas on these thoughts. Unfortunately, I have no "live" person who will have these discussions with me.
I call myself a Gnostic Christian and see very little in the church of Gnostic Christian beliefs.

My beliefs begin in the firm knowledge that all scriptures are myths and that none should be read in a literal way, --- although the odd wisdom saying might pass.

Most churches who fly the cross are literalist to some extent, --- and idol worshipers, --- and not the God seeker that the archetypal Jesus advises us to be. Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers and continue to be even after apotheosis.

You say that you have no live person who will have these discussions with.

You are wrong. Lend me your ear my friend.

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God here I define as the best laws and rules to live life with.

We believe that those laws and rules, as Jesus said, are found in our minds/hearts. I use the following to try to illustrate this notion. A bit of history and then a mindset and method to do what I promote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human and a brethren to Jesus.

Regards
DL